Plan, Don’t Panic: Five Paths to Stay Certified (Without Breaking a Sweat)
I love this time of year when the heat-weary summer sky transitions to the crisp, clear blue of fall. Fall is also one of two times a year we get to hear from the many CCMs who are renewing their credential. It’s a great time to re-engage and communicate about the changes that happen over the five years between renewal periods.
There are really quite a lot of you who regularly add your continuing education credits to your CCM dashboard and are able to renew on the first day it’s available. For others, renewal is the time you submit all your continuing education credits at once. Whatever your style, one thing is certain: Five years passes quickly, so it’s never too early to start thinking about the continuing education required to renew your credential.
Regular professional development represents the commitment every board-certified case manager makes to ethical practice and lifelong learning. Board-certified case managers must earn 80 hours of continuing education credit for renewal over five years (eight of these must be designated as ethics). That sounds like a lot, but when you break it down, it’s just 16 continuing education credits per year.
We encourage you to set a steady pace for renewal. Case managers have shared with us a number of ways they regularly keep up with the trends and engage in active learning, like attending CMSA and NASW chapter events and employer-based learning. To complement these channels, the Commission offers five paths to stay certified (without breaking a sweat)1:
- Subscribe to the CCMC Case Management Body of Knowledge®—100+ CCM continuing education credits (11 for ethics)
- The Commission’s online, ever-growing continuing education platform contains content developed by knowledge experts. For CCMs, the cost to subscribe is just $99 a year.
- Attend the CCMC New World Symposium®—up to 17 CCM continuing education credits/Year (at least 2 for ethics)
- This exciting annual event draws case managers from across the nation to meet, network and engage. Hear from inspiring, thought-provoking speakers and earn all your pre-approved CCM continuing education credits for the year while you connect with other CCMs and learn. CCMs who register early get special rates.
- Participate in CMLearning Network® Webinars—up to 6 CCM continuing education credits/Year (at least 1 for ethics)
- Each year, the Commission produces 6 live webinars featuring national experts on timely topics for case managers. By registering in advance and completing the evaluation, case managers may earn 1 CCM continuing education credit per webinar ($25 fee).
- Subscribe to the CareManagement Journal—up to 24 CCM continuing education credits/Year
- Produced by the Academy of Certified Case Managers (ACCM), CareManagement is the official journal of the Commission. CCMs may join ACCM (membership fee is $120) to receive the bi-monthly journal. Each issue includes access to 4 pre-approved CCM continuing education credits.
- Browse the PACE Directory: 25,000+ CCM continuing education credits
- All the courses pre-approved for CCM renewal are found in the searchable directory—webinars, onsite events, journal articles, home-based learning courses and web-based education. Search by location, course type, provider or number of CCM continuing education credits you need.
A little planning and a steady pace can make continuous learning one of the best things about being a CCM. As always, the Commission’s Renewal Navigators are ready to help; just call us at (856) 380-6836.
1Purchase of these materials is NOT required for renewal.